It’s that time of year again… back to school! Going back to school can be fun for some, stressful for many, fearful for others, and sometimes a mix of all of these! Here are some back to school tips that can help you be a successful student throughout the year.
Homework and assignments:
- If you are having trouble, seek out your school resources for help. Your teachers, counselors, and advisers are there to help you! And you will be surprised at how much is available to you. Don’t be afraid to ask!
- Take notes during class. Find out what the best note taking strategy is for you. Some people like hand write, type, record, etc.
- Form a study group with your classmates. Not only will it help your grades, you can make friends and form a support system at the same time.
- Learn to manage your time appropriately, set aside time for homework and readings daily, review your notes often, and don’t procrastinate!
- Always remember to review and proofread your assignments before handing them in, always get a second pair of eyes to look at your work.
- Find out and use your school’s resources. A lot of schools have writing centres where teachers and/or Teacher Assistants’s are there to assist you with your assignment, proofreading, editing, thesis writing, etc.
Not getting enough sleep has a negative impact on all parts of your life, especially school! Studies show teenagers need approximately 8.5 hours of sleep a night.
Here are some helpful tips on how to get enough sleep:
- Go to bed earlier and wake up earlier on a consistent basis to develop a routine.
- Don’t eat anything before bedtime, eating before sleeping keeps your body active and makes it difficult to fall asleep.
- Create a bedtime routine, play some relaxing music to wind down, read a book, etc.
- Keep your bed only for sleeping and avoid other activities such as watching television, using your computer, or talking on the phone .
Keeping your body going with the best type of fuel is extremely important in order for you to be a successful student. Here are some tips:
- Start with well balanced healthy breakfast (some healthy choices are: oatmeal, banana, eggs, fruit, milk, whole grains).
- Eat small meals every 3-5 hours.
- Make healthy choices, pack your lunch the night before to save time and money.
- Follow the Canada’s food guide try to consume a well-balanced diet containing all the food groups.
- SAY NO! to junk food from vending machines and fast food restaurants, try to avoid sugary/salty drinks and snacks. But remember to treat yourself every once and awhile, you deserve it! Just remember that moderation is key.
- Eat lots of fruits and veggies.
- Avoid foods that are high in fats or oil.
- Portion control is key, consider splitting with friend or saving your meals for later if it is too large.
- Drink lots of water (minimum 8 glasses per day).
Exercising regularly has many benefits, it keeps you healthy, relieves stress, and gives you more energy, all of which will help you be a better student.
- Try to do something active at least 3 times a week, 20 minutes each time. Activities can include walking, jogging, sports, dancing, yoga, and weight lifting. Research an exercise routine on the internet.
- Try to stretch before, during, and after exercises.
- Consume foods that are high in protein to promote recovery, drink lots of water, eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, and get lots of rest.
- Join a club with a friend such as sports or dancing.
Shopping can be fun for some while stressful for others, here are some helpful tips to help you become an educated consumer.
- Ask yourself, is this a NEED or a WANT? Do you absolutely need this or can you go without this purchase?
- Try Craigslist or Kijiji (use safely with caution) before buying brand new in store. You can get some great deals when you buy gently used.
- Negotiate when possible, especially for expensive purchases.
- Do your research, shop around, check other stores or websites, compare the prices.
- Consider buying in bulk to save money, wait for items to go on sale, and use coupons.
- Consider substituting, is there another product that does the same thing at a lower price?
- Remember to have fun! Stay balanced by having a nice mix of school, social, going out, clubs, and activities.
- Happy people do better in their lives. Make sure to have fun and take care of yourself, school can be stressful.
- Take time out of every day do something you enjoy or something that makes you happy.
- Talk to someone when under stress, talk to a trusted and responsible friend or counsellor.