Housing Resources


If you’re renting for the first time, you’ll need to know your rights as a tenant and how to work through disagreements with your landlord or roommates.  You’ll also need to get yourself set up with furniture and supplies. This section contains the resources you’ll need to help you make a house a home.

Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation – Renter’s Guide
Whether you are a first-time renter or an experienced tenant, this website will help you look for and evaluate apartments and understand your rights and responsibilities before, during and after your move.  Links to useful worksheets and sample letters are also included.
(En français)

If you need furniture, and you’ve got a friend with a van or a pick-up truck, Kijiji is for you.  A free online classified ad site, Kijiji lets buyers search in their own communities for used goods – and some of it is totally free!  Check out the Free Stuff section and narrow your search by using the menu at left.

If you’re looking for an apartment, and especially if you are relocating to another city, viewit.ca is a great resource.  Apartment renters can search by location, unit size and price range to find the perfect place, in the perfect neighbourhood.

Canada Post – Mail Forwarding
If you’re moving and don’t want to miss your mail, Canada Post will forward your mail to your new address for either 6 months at $45 or 12 months for $75.  You can sign up online for the service with a credit card. (En français)

Community Legal Education Ontario
CLEO has a number of helpful publications about common landlord and tenant issues, like: Can your landlord take your stuff?;  Moving out; Fighting an eviction; Dealing with harassment and discrimination; Renters with roommates; and more.  (En français)

Youth Canada – Moving tips
The government of Canada has assembled some helpful information, some questions to ask yourself and to ask a potential landlord, to help you prepare for your big move.  They also list some critical things to watch for when choosing a place to live, to make sure your new home will be safe and comfortable. (En français)

Consumer Measures Committee – Out on your Own
This website lists the pros and cons of living in university residence and of renting an apartment.  Some key information about budgeting, leases, rent, and the logistics of moving are also provided.  If you’re planning a big trip or studying abroad, you might want to check out the travel tips. (En français)

Landlord and Tenant Board
For more specific information about the rights and responsibilities of renters and landlords, the Landlord and Tenant Board’s FAQ page has lots of helpful information.  Answers to all kinds of questions can be found there, like: Can a landlord enter your unit?  What happens if the rent is late? How much notice do you have to give to move out? (En français)

Subsidized Housing

If you’re in the Toronto area and need help finding housing, 211toronto can help.  They have assembled a number of community resources dedicated to helping you find a place to live.

North Bay Community Transitional Housing Program
This program helps individuals over the age of 16 by providing housing and helping to create an action plan for how to move forward.  A referral from a community service provider is necessary.

Nipissing Mental Health Housing & Support Services
This bilingual organization provides shelter, treatment and care programs for individuals with serious mental health issues.  Applications are available for people who are over the age of 16 and able to live independently. (En français)

Provincial Rent Bank Program
This program of the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing helps individuals who, due to an emergency or other unforeseen circumstance, are behind in their rent and facing eviction. If the application to the Rent Bank is approved, the outstanding rent is paid directly to the landlord on behalf of the tenant. (En français)

Four Elms Residence North Bay
This bilingual agency provides food, shelter and safety for residents who require short-term, emergency accommodations.  Program staff provide services to help solve problems and resolve the crisis that prompted the use of the service in the first place.

Nipissing Transition House
Nipissing Transition House provides a wide range of services for women in crisis and their children.  The organization provides shelter, outreach, advocacy, counselling for women and children escaping violence and abuse.

Toronto Community Housing Corporation
As the largest social housing provider in Canada, the TCHC is home to thousands of tenants from many diverse backgrounds.  To apply for housing in Toronto, you must go through Housing Connections, the organization that manages the waiting list for subsidized housing.  You can learn more (available in 10 languages), or you can can apply online.

Housing Help Centre – York Region
The Housing Help Centre keeps a list of all the public housing units available in York Region.  If you need to find out more about subsidized housing in York Region, click here.  You can also use this form to apply for housing.

Housing Access Centre – London
The Housing Access Centre provides information and applications for social housing in London and the County of Middlesex.  You can apply online (link will only work in Internet Explorer), or you can visit this page to download and print a number of Adobe .pdf fillable forms.

Comments are closed.