The Ontario Association of Children’s Aid Societies (OACAS) Aftercare Benefits Initiative (ABI) was announced in February and is funded by the Ontario government.
Former Crown wards and other youth who have left or are leaving care may be eligible to enroll in the Ontario Association of Children’s Aid Societies (OACAS) Aftercare Benefits Initiative (ABI) providing comprehensive prescription, dental, vision, extended health benefits as well as a range of counselling and other life-skills supports (depression care, financial planning, career coaching, legal advice and much more).
Who is eligible to enroll in OACAS ABI?
- Youth between the ages of 21 and 24 inclusive as of August 1st, 2014, who were eligible to receive Continued Care and Support for Youth (CCSY) or Extended Care and Maintenance (ECM), which includes youth:
– who had Crown ward status that expired at age 18
– who were subject to a protection (formal) customary care agreement or a protection custody order at
– who were eligible for support under the Renewed Youth Support (RYS) program
- Children of eligible youth may also be registered for health benefits coverage